Wednesday, February 12, 2014

the elephant valentines

This week on The Month of Love, the theme is Favorite Love Story. 
I painted this small tribute to e.e. cummings, Marion Morehouse, and the elephant valentines (which, if you've been reading my blog for a while, you know I adore).
Cummings painted a beautiful elephant valentine for his wife, Marion, every year. Nine of them live at the New York Public Library.
I love the idea of a specific animal acting as a symbol for the love shared by two people, especially an animal as beautiful and gentle as the elephant.

1 comment:

Ivy Black said...

Beautiful Amanda,a wonderful tribute. I am a fan of Marion Morehouse...they don't build 'em like that anymore as my gran used to say. No wonder Cummings fell headlong for her. He was pretty terrific as well.
x