Wednesday, February 5, 2014

love is a mailbox of tiny valentines

I just did my first post for The Month of Love! This week's theme is "Unfiltered Valentine."
In elementary school, I loved celebrating Valentine's Day. Everyone making their own mailbox and giving out tiny colorful envelopes with hearts and stickers inside is something that still thrills me today.
The way we first see love as children is my idea of unfiltered love. Valentine's Day is one of the first little celebrations of our understanding of love, and celebrating it at school paves the way for the belief that love is for everyone - our friends, our families, our community - and not just a significant other.
I am lucky enough to work in an elementary school and partake in this fun ritual. It's one of my favorite days of the school year. This picture of a happy city classroom was done in pen and watercolor.
We have a Snow Day today here in Boston! I hope you'r all having a lovely February day, wherever you are.
xo, Amanda
P.S. - My friend Sam Trevino interviewed me for Paper Darts, and it's up now! Thanks, Sam. :)

3 comments:

www.juliadenos.com said...

I don't think it is possible for this post (or day!) to get any cozier. Enjoy! <3

Amanda Laurel Atkins said...

:) Yay! You, too, Julia! <3

A Painted Journey said...

This is absolutely beautiful! I love everything about it!